Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, July 23, 2007

Rib Contest A Success!!

Our first Rib Contest went on without a hitch. It took place during the monthly MN Hombrewer's Meeting. It was a perfect day, sunny, warm and a slight breeze to cool things off occasionally. About 40 people showed up for the event, with around 12 entries competing for the King Pig Title. There was good supply of hombrew for everyone to try as well as a few samples of Mead.

Al, partial owner of the Pedal Pub, got Dr. Mom hooked on Rose Hip, Apple Butter, and Raspberry mead. Mead Day is coming up on August 7th if you are interested in learning about or tasting mead. Making your own mead is pretty easy as well. Unfortunately the Pedal Pub was not around. Maybe next year!!



There was a very intense group of judges at hand, very secretive, and took their charge seriously. They seemed like Gangsta' Rib Tasters. The judges took no bull and awarded an "Ass kissing" award to a group with an elaborate presentation of coleslaw in a cup surrounded by two ribs. Each judge was even presented with their own plate!! Kiss Kiss Kiss

Well the judges didn't fall for that trick, but they did trick me when they asked about my outstanding, spicy, smoky, tender ribs!!! The judges were awe struck at the flavor present on the ribs. They believed it was cinnamon or all-spice, but it was cumin.........I was awarded THIRD place....Travesty!!

Joel Stizle was awarded second place with his tangy ribs. Man you should have sampled the ice cream that he made with Cloud Berries, vanilla bean and some other yummy stuff. Man was it good, and I had it after it melted. I almost ate the spoon that I tasted it with. Joel was awarded a 12 pack of Pigs Eye Beer.

Mr. Willie won the People's Choice award and was awarded a 12 pack of Pig's Eye Beer as well as braggin' rights for a year.

The judges, who must have been drunk, somehow decided that Tim's Store bough ribs were the Best of Show. He got lucky of course!!! Tim was given a growler of beer from Barley John's, the Golden Mop award and braggin' rights for a year. I don't think I've gone a day since then without him asking me who one. I tell him me every time!!

In the end it was a GREAT DAY!!! People had plenty to eat and drink and all had fun. It couldn't have been a better day, and even Sam showed up and kicked around a bit (I didn't see it). There has been a decision to turn this event into an annual occurrence. Taste good to me. I have to get that title away from Tim and Mr. Willie!!!


See you next year!!!
Thanks Everyone!!!

No comments: